If you’re looking for a specific training program- try my Skinny Minnie Slim Down! 25 days for $25. Click here!
A list of my “Most Common” Exercises for strength training and more!
- Pushups on the bosu (flat black part), TOES ONLY! 12 reps x 4 sets (this really works your core by doing them on the bosu, what an added bonus!)
- Chest presses lying down on the bench, 40 lbs 15 reps x 2 sets, then 50 lbs 12 reps x 2 sets
- Chest Fly’s (machine), 45 lbs 15 reps x 2 sets, then 50 lbs 12 reps x 2 sets
- Chest Open and Close (arms like a shoulder press, squeeze pecs in and out), 17.5 lb weights 12 reps x 4 sets
- Around the worlds with 10 lb weights. Lay down on a bench, bring arms with weights straight to the sides, palms up, now do a semicircle up towards your head and back down to the starting point. 8 reps x 4 sets
- Cable cross overs single arm, 12 lbs 12 reps x 4 sets each arm
- Low decline chest presses with 10 lb dumbbells on stability ball (sit on ball, do a chest press but slightly at a decline), 12 reps x 3 sets
- Cross hammer curls using 15 lb dumbbells. (elbow in tight to body, hammer curl on a diagonal up to opposite shoulder and back down, I do one arm at a time), 12 reps x 2 sets each side
- Single arm overhead diagonal tricep extension, 15 lb dumbbells, 10 reps x 2 sets each side
- upper cut punches 15 lb dumbbells, 12 reps x 3 sets (alternating arms)
- bent over tricep kick backs with 15 lb dumbbells, 12 reps x 3 sets (both arms)
- Cable Tricep overhead pulls with rope, 40-45 lbs, 12 reps x 4 sets
- Cable tricep pulldowns with rope, 40-45 lbs, 12 reps x 4 sets
- Reverse hammer curls with cable rope (rope towards bottom, pull up and curl), 40 lbs, 12 reps x 4 sets
- Tricep overhead plate extensions, 25 lbs, 10 reps x 3 sets
- Bicep curls using the plate, 25 lbs, 10 reps x 3 sets
- Drag curls (these are bicep curls TIGHT to your body, the bar literally skims your torso), 30 lb bar, 10 reps x 3 sets
- Reverse tricep press on the bench using 30 lb bar (lay down, bar in air, underhand grip, press down into ribcage and back up)- 12 reps x 3 sets
- Weighted bench dips (10 lb plate in lap, dip down off the bench like a backwards pushup and back up), 10 reps x 3 sets
- Rotator cuff single arm open and close using cables, 15 lbs, 12 reps x 3 sets each arm
- Upright rows with cable, 50 lbs, 12 reps x 4 sets
- Military Press with 30 lb bar, 12 reps x 4 sets
- Rear Delt Fly’s, 17.5 lbs, 15 reps x 2 sets, then 20 lbs, 12 reps x 2 sets
- Hook punches with 12 lb weights, 20 reps alternating sides x 3 sets
- Lateral straight arm raises with 8 lb kettles, 10 reps x 4 sets
- Front straight arm raises with 12 lb kettles, 12 reps x 4 sets
- Shoulder presses, single arm, using cables. 20 lbs, 15 reps x 2 sets each arm, then 25 lbs 10 reps x 1 set each arm, then 30 lbs 8 reps x 1 set each arm
- Shoulder presses using 8 lbs weights each hand 50 reps x 1 set!
- Shoulder shrugs, 30 lb kettle bells each hand, 15 reps x 4 sets (do these ladies, they make a difference!)
- Front Arm circles, 5 lb kettle bells each hand, 10 circles each direction x 2 sets
- Lateral Delt raise, 5 lb kettle bells each hand, 15 reps x 4 sets
- Lat pull downs, 45 lbs 15 reps x 2 sets, then 60 lbs, 15 reps x 2 sets
- Lat pull downs behind head/neck, 45 lbs 15 reps x 2 sets, then 60 lbs 15 reps x 2 sets
- Overhand Low cable rows, 90 lbs, 12 reps x 2 sets, then 110 lbs 12 reps x 2 sets (easier with cables, looks like a lot of weight, I know)
- Underhand cable rows (reverse grip), 90 lbs, 12 reps x 2 sets, then 110 lbs 12 reps x 2 sets
- Single bent over rows, 20 lb dumbbell, 12 reps x 3 sets each arm
- Assisted pull-ups wide and narrow grip, 10 reps x 4 sets
- Wide grip low rows using a 50 lb bar, 12 reps x 4 sets
- Narrow grip low rows using a 50 lb bar, 12 reps x 2 sets, then 60 lbs, 12 reps x 2 sets
- Dumbbell reverse flys, 15 lb weights each hand, 15 reps x 4 sets
- Weighted Low back extensions-10 lb weight, 15 reps x 4 sets
- Dead lifts with 100 lb bar… yes 100! 10 reps x 4 sets
- Squats on the bosu holding 15 lb kettles in each hand, 12 reps x 4 sets
- Squats on the bosu without weights, 20 reps x 4 sets
- Plie squats with a 30 lb bar on shoulders, 15 reps x 4 sets, after each set squat down and hold, lift heels up, pulse up for 8
- Overhead squats (bar straight up over your head) with a 30 lb bar, 12 reps x 4 sets (deep squat!)
- Side squats alternating with a 40 lb bar on shoulders, 20 reps x 2sets, then 10 reps x 2 sets (hold the last 2 sets for 5 seconds)
- Lunges with 30 lb bar on shoulders, 12 reps x 4 sets each leg, at the end of each set hold the lunge down for 5 seconds
- Curtsy lunges (lunge with back leg going at a diagonal, like you are doing a curtsy!), holding 12 lb kettles, 12 reps x 4 sets each leg
- Calf raises (machine) 80 lbs 10 reps x 2 sets (slow and controlled), then 100 lbs 10 reps x 2 sets (hold at the end of each set for 5 seconds
- Leg curls 80 lbs 12 reps x 4 sets
- Leg extensions 75 lbs, 80 lbs, 90 lbs, then 100 lbs, 12 reps, 1 set of each weight
- Knee raises with 5 lb kettle bell on foot, 15 reps x 3 sets each leg
- Forward straight leg raise with 5 lb kettle bell on foot, 12 reps x 3 sets each leg
- Hamstring kickbacks (using hamstring machine with loops)- bend knee and do a donkey like kick, 20 lbs, 12 reps x 4 sets each leg
- Hip adduction with hamstring machine (foot through loop), 12 lbs, 10 reps x 3 sets
- Hip abduction with hamstring machine (foot through loop), 17.5 lbs, 10 reps x 3 sets
LEG PYRAMID: You do these exercises in a row, then work your way back up!
- 20 Squats
- 30 Lunges (alternate legs)
- 40 Plie squats
- 50 second wall sit (back against the wall, squat down like you are sitting in a chair)
- 60 High knees
- 45 second planks, on elbows x 2
- Side planks with rotating oblique twist x 10, hip dips down and up x 10, and top leg straight leg lifts x 10 (you are doing a side plank balancing on one leg, takes practice!) This takes about a minute. Do on both sides!
- Side bends holding a 30 lb kettle bell, 20 reps x 2 sets each side
- Torso twists holding a 30 lb kettle bell, 20 reps x 4 sets
- Standing crunches holding a 30 lb kettle bell, 12 reps x 4 sets
- Alternating pilates leg crunch (bring head and shoulders off mat, legs up to ceiling, lower one leg a few inches above mat and crunch body up with arms on either side of that leg, alternating sides back and forth. 30 alternating
- Regular oblique crunches
- Mountain climbers x 30 seconds x 2
- Oblique knee twists in a plank on hands (alternate crunching knees in diagonally) x 30
- Planks on hands hopping feet wide and narrow x 10, 2 sets
- Oblique cruches- lay on the stability ball sideways (hip on ball), legs out straight and cross ankles. Crunch down over the ball and pull your torso back up. 12 reps x 2 sets each side
SKINNY MINNIE FAB ABS WORKOUT:
- The Hundred. Lying flat, lift head and neck off the mat. Legs straight (lift them up if you can). Hands straight by your sides. Flutter hands and inhale for 5 beats, then exhale for 5 beats. Do this 10 times to make 100!
- Bicycle crunches. Crunch shoulder to opposite knee, alternating each time. 20 reps EACH SIDE!
- Straight Leg lift and lower. Hands under butt or beside. Legs straight in the air and lower down to an inch above the mat, and back up (you will feel this in your lower abs). 12 reps
- Scissor kicks & Flutters. Legs straight, lift head and neck off the mat, scissor your legs (crossing ankles), 20 reps. Now flutter your legs up and down for 10 reps.
- REPEAT 2-4!
- Side to side twists using a 10lb medicine ball balancing on butt bones. 40 reps (20 each side)
- 30 second plank. 2 sets
- Ab roll using the large ball. Put your forearms and elbows on top of the ball (ball is close to your body) and push away from you (you will end in a plank!). You can start on your knees for this one. It’s hard! 10 reps
- Ins and Outs using arms. Balance on your butt bones, back flat, leaning back slightly. Raise your legs up with your knees bent. Push your legs out straight and open your arms out to the sides (like you are flying). Now crunch your body back in bending your legs and wrapping your arms around your knees (like you are hugging). The motion is an open and closing of your wings
- REPEAT 7-9!
Treadmill Interval Workout
Cardio Interval Workout:
Using the stepper:
- High knees
- Jump on and off the step
- Jump on the step and one leg over each side (kind of like an in and out straddling motion-left foot on step, right foot on step, left foot off step, right foot off step! You end up straddling the step, but do this super fast!)
- Heel digs
- High kicks
Note: You don’t have to do all of the exercises under each category for that muscle group day. This is just to list some of my favorites that I play around with 🙂
GONNA MAKE YA SWEAT!
XOXO With a Cherry On Top,
Thank you!!!! Makes this so much easier 🙂 … how many exercises would you recommend for a workout??
Your welcome! If you are beginning, I’d say 5 or so. I tend to do more of the things I really like. I do a lot of shoulders, arms, and legs because they are my favorites. If you’ve been lifting a while, push yourself and try 7-8 🙂
SUPER BOWL CHAMPS! | Skinny Minnie Moves
[…] Workouts […]
Love this! I’m always looking for ideas when planning my workouts. I’ll definitely be visiting this page often!
Glad I could help out 🙂
Skinny Minnie Moves
[…] you ever seen a huge 10 year old boy with bulky muscles? Me neither! Each day I post my detailed workouts, with how much weight I lift, and how many repetitions and sets I complete. Think of it as a free […]
Do you have a certain schedule with cardio and which body parts you exercise on each day?
Yes! Cardio I pretty much do every day but I do a lot less than I used to. It’s about training your muscles, not just cardio. Each day I train a different muscle group, here’s a regular week:
Monday- Cardio and Arms
Tuesday- Cardio and Back
Wednesday- Cardio power hour
Thursday- Cardio and Shoulders
Friday- LEGS and a tiny bit of cardio
Sunday- Cardio and Chest
Now I never really follow this schedule exactly because some days I work long hours so I’ll do my rest during the week and shift the days and not rest on the weekend! But you get the idea 🙂
What paces do you run at for your 35 minute interval treadmill workout??
I usually run at 5.7 as a warmup, standard is at 6, a pick up speed is usually 6.3-6.5, sometimes a faster run to 7.0. Sprint is 8-ish
My Talking Gremlin | Skinny Minnie Moves
[…] Workouts […]
When you workout, do you finish all sets and then move on to the next exercise? Or is it like a circuit where you finish one set of all exercises and then repeat them until you finish all sets?
No I complete all sets and then move on. If I am doing biceps and triceps I do one set of say hammer curls, one set of triceps extensions and alternate until I finish both sets!
What do else do you do for cardio besides the treadmill?
I am a huge stairmaster person (stepmill), I also like ellipticals that incline!
I seriously appreciate this blog SO much. I’ve always been a huge runner and while I’m thin I’m just not as defined as I like so I wanted to start lifting, my only question is I’m so intimidated by the weight section at the gym. How’d you first even learn those exercise? I want to learn them and have good form, did you use any reference to learn these? Thanks again!!! Keep strong girl!
Well in college I used to read a lot of shape magazines and stuff and I would just watch people at the gym and pick up on things. Now I use bodybuilding.com for different exercises. It’s a great site and they have videos. Plus I used to do a lot of body pump and stuff back in the day and would get ideas from those classes!
Strike a Pose There’s Nothing To It | Skinny Minnie Moves
[…] Workouts […]
Things Are Getting Easier | Skinny Minnie Moves
[…] Workouts […]
Your blog is sooo great!!! I am a runner and try to run 5-6 times a week but Im still having a hard time losing that last 15 pounds I want to. Do you have any tips?
Thanks! small meals speed up the metabolism! Do you lift? That made the biggest change for me losing the last 15