Change Isn’t Always Good
Sunday. How does this happen? How is my weekend over in the blink of an eye? Okay, I realize I have the whole day, but I focus on Sunday blues so much that it’s hard to fully enjoy it.
Let’s talk about my Saturday. I woke up to coffee and NOT protein fluff! Hey what do ya know? I can change it up! Actually I had it later…
I was really craving carbs too. They say it’s best to have heavy carbs in the morning, so I went with that theory. I had 2 pieces of cinnamon raisin Ezekiel bread, toasted. One had natural peanut butter, one I just heated and mashed blueberries that were about to expire!
After my toast, I headed down to my apartment gym to do some morning abs. I am going to try to make this a regular thing for me at least 3 times a week. I’ve been reading body building sites and they say to train them in the morning 3-4 days a week for the best results. I’ve mentioned on here a few times that a 6 pack for me would be like winning the lottery. I work out extremely hard and don’t have that super flat tum. Abs are really all genetics! Can’t hurt to train them anyway. I did about 20 minutes of different exercises and some stretching
I actually took a picture of them but I am way too shy to post it. Maybe one day!
I went back upstairs to do some chores and prep meal #2 which is…. a FLUFF! This is not any normal fluff. This is Apple Pie Protein Fluff
So good! Tastes just like an apple pie. Try me 🙂
Phoebe and I packed up our things and headed to G-Mama and Pop Pops. I snacked on another skinny veggie wrap.
We watched some TV before I headed to a new gym! I was really excited to try a free week guest pass at a gym 10 minutes away from my parents house, and I went in thinking I was going to switch 100%. This place offers group exercise classes, pilates and yoga, cycling, a huge pool, racquetball courts, and tons of cardio equipment. Well let me review my experience for you.
First of all, the lady I talked to was very nice, but of course she is going to be because she wants to sell a membership. I told her about this blog and lifting and she was shocked. Not a lot of women lift and I told her that’s my purpose for my blog! Ladies keep on lifting. After a tour and chat I showed her a picture of me holding Phoebs and she said “oh my gosh YOU ARE RIPPED!“. That was definitely the best part of my experience by far.
I headed right to a stairmaster for 32 minutes. Now they still only had 4 of these. I was expecting a few more since it was a pricier and bigger gym. The view was nice though
Let’s talk about my dislikes and why I was not pleased:
- Not enough mirrors. I NEED a mirror when I workout. Since the room was so big too, you couldn’t even see yourself from other machines like my regular gym.
- No women’s area (sometimes I like to get away from the guys and use these machines. Plus women are better about wiping down equipment)
- Kettle bells lacking. They had the huge balls, but not the good kettle bells. Really how am I supposed to do a kettle bell swing without a correct kettle bell?
- THE LIGHT. Oh my goodness it was extremely bright in this gym. The sunlight was BEAMING in, bouncing off the mirrors and blinding me. Who can workout like this?
- Limited free weights and barbells. I am a free weight lifter. I love the barbells that are pre-weighted. They only had a couple curved ones, but NO straight ones. I couldn’t believe it. These are a must for my workouts.
- I hate to throw this one in because it sounds bad, but too many teenagers. It was like a high school vibe in there, I didn’t like it at all.
- No paper towels out, only those sani-wipes. At least they had these! But I prefer a paper towel and spray bottle. The sani-wipes are good, but the paper towels are good for when you are sweating a lot and don’t want to carry a towel around.
- The TRX cables are LOCKED, and only for use when you pay the personal trainers. This is complete… excuse my language… BS!
Now that I’ve been extremely negative (ha), here are a few things I did like that I wish my gym would offer:
- Newer equipment. They had lots of things that were brand spankin’ new. Like this leg press. The seat made me feel like a queen!
- Small cafe that had healthy food options and Starbucks! The food I’d probably never do, but the Starbucks? Win.
- TV’s on each piece of cardio equipment, plus the big ones overhead.
- I really tried to come up with more but I couldn’t….
I did my leg day, but wasn’t too happy about it. There wasn’t room for me to do my regular squat and lunge routine in without the sun taking away my vision. But here is what I did anyway!
- Smith machine squats (the bar was weird… def not standard 45 lbs, not sure what it was), I had to add on 100 lbs to even feel a burn. 12 reps x 4 sets
- Smith Plie squats, 120 lbs, 12 reps x 4 sets
- Smith Calf raises, 140 lbs, 12 reps x 4 sets
- Leg extensions, 90-100 lbs, 10 reps x 4 sets
- Leg curl, 80 lbs, 12 reps x 3 sets
- Hip abduction and adduction, 70-90 lbs, both directions, 12 reps x 4 sets
- Calf presses, 110 lbs, 12 reps x 4 sets
- Glute presses (machine where you bend over and donkey kick a leg behind you), 70 lbs, 10 reps x 3 sets each leg
- Leg Presses, 110 lbs, 12 reps x 4 sets
- Alternating unweighted curtsy lunges, 20 reps x 2 sets
- Squats holding 22.5 dumbbells in each hand, 12 reps x 4 sets
Also did some side bends and torso twists. Here’s a pic of me doing the side bends I always talk about!
So basically change isn’t always good. The grass is always greener I guess. I can’t wait to go back to the land of bodybuilders and meatheads, where the music pumps and I feel uncomfortable when people stare. Never thought I’d say that!
I headed back to the locker room after my workout and hit the road!
When I went back to G-Mama and Pop Pops, I picked up Phoebe and grabbed some food my dad smoked for me. Let me take a second to praise my amazing parents. First of all, I am very fortunate to have a great relationship with both my Mom and Dad. They would do anything for me, and I would do the same. Plus they treat Phoebs as their own. Their little “grand pup”. Most people my age never even speak to their parents, or call them once a week, if that. Even growing up I always had a good relationship with them!
I asked my Dad the day before if he could smoke some chicken breast I bought from Wegmans. Well he didn’t even blink an eye, and refused to let me use chicken breast I bought with my own money. When I got to my parents house it was already all done! He had smoked huge chicken breasts for me, onions, carrots, and brussels sprouts. The sprouts look a little weird but they are AMAZING! Thanks so much dad! 🙂
And my mama bought me a new Blender Bottle! I didn’t ask for one, she picked me up a smaller one because she knows how much I use them. Seriously you can never have too many of these. Especially as often as I use them.
Phoebs and I sat in my chair for a little while and watched a movie. She was a little on the sleepy side.
And looked a little drugged…
Then we watched “What Would Ryan Lochte Do?” on E! Let me start by saying I turned it on fully expecting it to be some dumb reality show I wouldn’t pay attention to, and quickly because OBSESSED. It comes on again tonight and I am literally counting down the hours. I completely understand why this guy has the dumb guy reputation. Now I hate to judge, but he is one of the dumbest guys you will ever come across and it is HILARIOUS. He milks it though and it works in his favor because he is so attractive. If you are a reality TV buff and looking for something new, watch this. It’s great. I couldn’t stop laughing and shaking my head at him because he is very… well…. he’s not the sharpest knife in the drawer 😉
Later today I head back to my gym! If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!
XOXO With a Cherry On Top,