Money Saving Tips
Welcome to Money Saving Monday! Lately I have been acting like my bank account is more of a way to support my shopping addiction over my means of living.
Last night I was watching old episodes of The Chew on my DVR and they were talking about a few ways you can save money in the kitchen. I’ve discussed on here several times that I will go to the grocery store and spend WAY too much. I just grab things and don’t look at prices, or I grab things I want to try for the blog, and then they sit in my cabinet forever (soba noodles anyone? I bought about 4 brands and made soba noodles once!)
Anyway here are a few tips on how to save some bucks if you are not a thrifty food shopper. Let’s do this together!
- Buying fruits and veggies in season. This is a great one. I’m often guilty of buying things I like, rather than things that are in season and then the taste suffers. You end up paying extra for shipping costs on something that doesn’t taste good to begin with. Try your local farmers market instead which are cheaper and support the local farmers! Also check out this great website that tells you what’s in season month by month. Right now the fruits and veggies for May are: okra, zucchini, rhubarb, artichokes, asparagus, spring peas, broccoli, lettuce, cherries, pineapple, and apricots. June is my favorite month because of the berries and cherries!
- Freezer paper. Why didn’t I think of this before? I often use those huge Ziploc bags and smaller sandwhich bags to freeze portions of things. Those bags get pricey! A box of 10 large bags is $2.29. If you go to the store and buy freezer paper (in the same aisle as the bags and tinfoil), you just wrap up the servings, label, and pop in the freezer. A huge roll of it costs only $3.29 and it will wrap many more servings!
- Coupon Clipping. This is a given. I just need to add it to the list for myself because I NEVER do it and should!
- Oats. Please buy in bulk! So much cheaper than the packets and you control everything in your oatmeal. I don’t even cook my oats. I use unsweetened almond milk and soak them overnight to fluff them up! My oats cost 6 cents a serving.
- Buy Protein Powders Online. They are MUCH cheaper. I never buy them in the store. Once you find the brand and flavor you like, buy bigger containers to save yourself a few bucks.
- Be careful of the 2 for $5 sales. Just because they are 2 for 5 doesn’t mean you need to buy 2! I always end up spending more money this way and then never using the item up in time. Usually if they are 2 for 5, you can still get 1 of them and pay the same price ($2.50)! Just a trick the stores do to get you to buy more.
- Stick to your list. I need to listen to my own rules here. I never stick to the list. I always buy stuff I don’t need and then I never use it! So Minnie, STICK TO THE LIST!
Have some more tips? Please feel free to post and comment, because boy I could use them!
Yesterday morning Phoebe and I had a big breakfast and then went to G-Mama and Pop Pops
and a trail mix bar
At the gym it was leg day and I changed it up a bit for me. I focused on my bum and hamstrings. Bikini season is super close!
I started with a 10 minute run on the treadmill. I always have a slight incline when I run. This time I had it from 2.0-4.0. Then I did a 12 minute speed walk.
Time to hit legs!
- Smith Machine calf raises, 135-155lbs, 12 reps x 4 sets
- Smith Plie Squats, 135-155 lbs, 12 reps x 4 sets (really upped my game here!)
- Smith regular squats, 2 sets wide stance, 2 sets narrow stance, 135-155lbs, 12 reps x 4 sets
- Smith Lunges, 95 lbs, 10 reps x 4 sets EACH LEG!
- Hamstring prone leg curl (this is the machine where you lay down and bum is in the air). 25 lbs, 8 reps x 3 sets. 25 lbs doesn’t seem like a lot, but this is using a plate, so much harder!
- Hello hamstrings, 50 lb bar, 12 reps x 4 sets, with 5 deep squats in between sets!
- Alternating side squats, 50 lb bar, 16 reps x 3 sets
- Cable hip adduction, (foot in loop, pull into body) 12.5 lbs, 10 reps x 4 sets each leg
- Alternating curtsy lunges, unweighted, 20 reps x 2 sets, then single leg 10 reps x 2 sets each leg
Then I hit the elliptical for 25 minutes and decided to play with the TRX! These 3 TRX exercises I did back to back without breaks. 4 sets of them (break between sets, your legs will be shaking!)
- Hamstring curls, 10 reps
- Straight leg bridge pulse ups, 8 reps
- Straight leg open and close (works hip abductors), 10 reps
Then I flipped over and did some planks, just a few!
Since I wanted to go into beast mode, I wanted to see if I could do a chin up unassisted. I grabbed a box, jumped up on a bar and to my surprise up I went! I ended up doing 6 REPS X 3 SETS OF CHIN UPS! UNASSISTED! Sorry the caps and bold are needed. I couldn’t believe I did it! After I did these sets I felt a little sick, I thought I was going to see my breakfast again, and the room started moving a bit… so I took a little rest.
Then I walked it off on the treadmill for 7 minutes and did a nice long stretch.
And took some pics of my waist progress. I feel like it’s getting smaller!
Back at G-Mama’s I showered and chilled out before a family dinner. G-Mama worked so hard on it! Check it out
There were also biscuits (Phoebe tore them up). I had a salad and crab soup. So delicious!
Overall a great Sunday. I would be sad about it turning Monday, but I am spending all day in the OR with one of my favorite residents. So I think we will have a fun time! Big breakfast will be in my future and limited water and coffee.
Speaking of coffee I promised my frappe fluff recipe, but the clock is ticking away close to midnight and I get up at 4:30 am. I’m not too smart am I? So hold out for one more day and I will have it up tomorrow. 🙂
Have a great day
XOXO With a Cherry On Top,
I found what works good for hubby and I is to make a menu for the week and only buy what’s needed for your meals. Maybe once a month ill stock up on essentials, but our bill is lower.
That’s a good idea and lots of people do that. I never stick to a menu because sometimes I just am not in the mood for what I planned.
All good ideas. Where do you buy protein powder? I find good prices on 5 lb. bags @ Sam’s Club.
I but it online from amazon.com or netrition.com
Chelsea @ GlitterAndSweat
I buy few things in bulk, like meats and bananas (when they are green), otherwise everything else I do the same as the list 🙂 Seriously, you inspire me to do so much more in the gym!
I buy bananas green in bulk too! I can never have to many nanners for my fluffs!
We usually get our protein powder from GNC (gold card days). I’m curious about this new recipe….I just mixed some up this morning and yesterday – used van cream – van yogurt, and some of the low fat iced coffee mix – wasn’t bad. I’m trying to get where I like protein shakes…I have such a hard time with them!! I’m trying so hard to work my legs – that is my least fav body part!!!! Yours look great btw!!!
Thanks amy it’s nothing special, pretty much my fluff with coffee in it lol
I use mobile coupons – specifically an app called SnipSnap that lets you take pictures of your coupons and redeem them from your phone so you don’t have to clip them and never forget them at home – That’s my best money saving tip!
Gorgeous dinner!! (mango vinaigrette dressing sound like a dream)
oh my gosh I must download this! That’s a great idea. Thanks Liz!
I am going to try your leg routine. What is “Hello hamstrings” and secondly, how long do you rest between sets. Thanks:-)
Hello Hamstrings: Bar on meaty part of shoulders, legs straight, bend from the waist (you stick out your butt), and back up. You go from 180 degrees (straight up) to 90 (bent over). FLAT BACK! Hope that helps!
Awesome! I called those “good mornings”. Also, how long do you rest between sets? Thanks so much!!!
Lol I think I call them good morning hamstrings on every other post. But for some reason my brain fried on this day and I called them hello hamstrings lol. Lack of sleep?
I don’t take long rests. It makes you lean when u don’t rest a lot. If I’m in a rush 15 seconds if that. A lot of the time I don’t rest and in between each set I do another exercise to keep moving.
Update time!! | eatsofagirldiscovering
[…] so excited to see they had gotten a stair machine! I was ecstatic to say the least! I did a new leg workout yesterday inspired by the lovely Katie from Skinny Minnie Moves. I am so sore today I love it! I […]