That’s Gonna Last As Long As Pat Stayed in the Army
Welcome back to the weekdays!
Phoebe was so ready to go to G-Mama and Pop-Pops
Today I was thinking about ‘life’ sayings. When life gives you lemons make lemonade, when there’s a will there’s a way, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, etc.
WELL I have one for you I thought everyone knew… “That’s gonna last as long as Pat stayed in the army”
You see, growing up my mom said this ALL THE TIME. And one day, my sister Casey said this to her husband Drue (they were discussing something that would never last). His response was “What the heck are you talking about?” Casey said “you don’t know that saying? What planet do you live on!!??”
Well this story was retold to my mom and I. And of course my mom laughed hysterically. I didn’t understand, because I thought Drue was just as crazy for not knowing it.
Turns out, PAT lived down the street from my mom growing up. He was the neighborhood joke because he joined the army and then quit after about 2 days. So “that’s gonna last as long as Pat stayed in the army” was a saying used in her house and then continued into my household. Yeah I just found out last year this wasn’t a saying everyone knows… don’t judge me!
Not to be outdone by “when you mix dirt and water you get mud” and “beauty fades, dumb is forever”… Don’t ask…
Does your family have any of these crazy/cute little sayings?
I have another delicious side for you today! Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels
And onto the gym stuff! Today at the gym I went back to shoulders! My favorite muscle group 🙂
I started my workout today with a quick 10 minute Stairmaster session. I upped my speed a little bit since it was quick!
After that I went to abs. I sometimes like doing my ab routines at the beginning of my workouts because it reminds me to keep my core strong the entire time I’m at the gym.
- Reverse crunches with legs elevated. These are those little hip movements off the mat. You don’t need to lift high to feel it. I did 10 reps x 2 sets
- Oblique crunches. 20 reps x 2 sets each side
- Kettle ball (10lbs) twists sitting, lift your legs up if you can for extra! Twist the ball side to side. 20 reps x 2 sets
- Advanced bicycles. Sit on your butt bones, lean back and bicycle your legs (alternating). You can start by placing your hands on the floor for balance, but challenge yourself and balance without hands. 20 reps x 2 sets
- Regular crunches with a kettle ball (10lbs) 15 reps x 2 sets. Pulse for 10 at the end of each set holding the kettle ball
I then did a 40 minute cardio session (I broke it up into sections)
My shoulder workout was good today! Try me! 🙂
- Narrow shoulder presses using dumbbells (17.5lbs). Palms facing each other, do regular shoulder presses up and down. 10 reps x 4 sets
- Internal rotation using a 15 lb kettle bell. Elbow bent like you are going to do a shoulder press. Push your palm to the floor and back up- kind of like you are swatting something – (elbow bent the entire exercise). 12 reps x 3 sets each arm
- Upright rows using a 25lb plate. 12 reps x 4 sets
- Front raises using a 25lb plate (arms straight out in front of you and back down). 10 reps x 4 sets
- Lateral raises using an 8 lb kettle bell. 20 reps x 2 sets. Both arms at the same time! (arms straight out to the sides)
- Shoulder rolls using 5 lb kettle bells. Arms straight out to the sides make tiny circular movements. Go both directions. 20 reps x 4 sets (2 sets each direction)
I also did some assisted pull ups. I did 15 reps x 4 sets using a 64 lb assistance and a 70 lb assistance (this machine helps lift your body up to do a pull up better)
I finished with pushups on the Bosu Ball. 10 reps x 3 sets. No girl pushups!
I flip the Bosu over and put my hands on the platform. This way your core has to balance you!
Strong is beautiful!
I hope you enjoyed Before & After from yesterday. I received some great feedback and comments! So thank you all! 🙂
If you’re too shy to post, certainly Email Me
XOXO With a Cherry On Top,