Walking on Two Legs Instead of Four
Well it’s Black Friday, and what does that mean for Minnie? Well that means an empty gym, an empty grocery store, and a happy girl!
Yes, I absolutely love to shop, but I don’t do well in crowds. They make me nervous, I get claustrophobic, and then I start to panic a bit. So I avoid Black Friday at all costs. I won’t get an awesome deal on a TV, but I will reap the benefits of places like the gym and the grocery store that are empty because everyone is out shopping.
Today I spent a lot of time working on my before and after pictures. YES they are coming! The idea behind this blog was not to show off, not for compliments, or even a confidence boost. It’s to show people that anyone can do this. It’s hard work, but it is 100% worth it. Plus I have never felt healthier! If I didn’t put before or after pictures I’d be a hypocrite. I want this blog to be real, raw, and not any bells or whistles. So here’s a sneak peek for you guys 😉
Today before I went to the gym I had my favorite Cake Shake <—— Click me for recipe
Tastes like cake batter! What!??? CAKE BATTER? Yes I know…
This is my own little concoction made up of healthy ingredients that are figure friendly 🙂
Then I went to the gym for LEG DAY! You can hate me tomorrow.. sorry. This will burn, but it will be so worth it! Just think of that turkey dinner you are going to burn off, and how fabulous your legs are going to look 😉
I started with 20 minutes on the Stairmaster to give my legs a good pre-burn. If this scared you the first day, keep trying. It takes a few tries before you have to stop looking at your feet to step up. I’ve fallen off of it before, tried catching myself and almost dislocated my elbow. Should have just let my face skid down the steps… Was I embarrassed? Yes. Did I stop? NO! I shook it off and got right back up. I’m sure people laughed at me, but I’m not a quitter.
So onto legs we go… remember to mix back in some cardio instead of doing all of this straight!
- Hack squats (machine). This is the squat machine at the gym that looks like a little chair. I did 15 reps x 4 sets. Two sets I did with my hips lifted OFF the back of the machine, and 2 sets with my hips against the machine. I upped my weight with each set. Started with 80, then 90, then big jump to 120, then 140. Feel the burn!
- Calf presses. I use the leg press machine for this one and put the balls of my feet on the area you press (heel hangs off). 20 reps x 4 sets, starting with 180 (seems like a lot, it’s easy to push). Up your weight last 2 sets!
- Seated leg curls (machine). I really feel this in my hamstrings and booty. 15 reps x 4 sets. 60 pounds. Up your weight last 2 sets!
Here’s where the fun comes in (my own little unique exercises I do)
Cardio round #2 complete right? 🙂 (I love me some arc trainer)
Now we are going to do leg lifts with this baby on there. If you need to hold on for balance that’s fine. But once you get the hang of it, let go. Balancing works your core!
- Stand with a slight bend in your knees. Raise your knee with the kettle bell, up and down (slow and controlled) 15 reps. Then switch legs. Do this twice on each side. You will really feel it in your quad!
Next we move on to side knees. I do 12 reps on each side x 2 sets (alternate each set)
Then I do straight leg extensions. 15 reps x 1 set on each leg
(keep your standing leg with a slight bend in the knee)
Now we are going to do squats and lunges. I have a bad knee so lunges are hard on me. So feel free to do more than I do 🙂
- Squats holding a 35lb kettle bell. 20 reps x 4 sets. Each set end with small pulses (I do 8 to feel the burn!)
- Lunges holding a 12lb weight in both hands. 15 reps each leg and 8 pulses x 2 sets
- Alternating lunges stepping back. 30 of these. At #15 stop and hold down for 10 seconds. Do this again at #30
- Plie squats. 20 reps x 2 sets. No weight. After set 1 you are going to hold the squat as low as you can and lift the heel up. Do this for 30 seconds and then pulse down for 8. Now do this again after set 2!
I did a quick 10 min cardio session to finish then some nice long stretching. You need the stretching after all these leg exercises!
After I was finished, I was feeling great! AND Phoebe was so happy when I came home!
Here’s something I haven’t told you about Phoebe Buffay. She has a hidden talent! Or she doesn’t realize she’s not human… haven’t figured out which one yet. She constantly walks on two legs, I call it her “dancing”. It amazes my dad and G-Mama, but every time I say, “I know, that’s what she does”.
She stays up a pretty long time before turning back into a regular dog.
Have fun doing your leg workout… and come back for more fun!
XOXO With a Cherry On Top,